Tuesday, September 20, 2005

I Don't Mean to be a jerk

I wrote this post yesterday. Then thought again about posting it since I don't want to be a jerk. Now I'm just lazy to come up with a new post. Peace. - The Editor

This is a response to Angry Bostonian's great post on the Daily Show. Although I don't agree with him per se, I do think he has a point. Many people don't know what Daily Show is, is it a comedy show like Conan? Is it a place for biting commentary like Scarborough Country (that's a joke folks)? Or is it something in between? Well, I think it's both. It's not a show like Conan's, but I think it's a show that's just plain funny -- most of the time. It's not a show to watch expecting the same jokes you would hear on a late night show. The humor is more, "Did you read two papers this morning and watch CSPAN? What the hell is going on here?" Apparently this is how the current format and sensibility took off, with the writers talking about all the cable news channels they watch and papers they read so they can spoof them at night. I think it's joke about the media and about real world events.

I feel Conan, the best of the late night hosts, is more about Hollywood and entertainment. Heck, he's great when he makes fun of comedy especially when people don't laugh when they "should". I hate to make a swipe at a fellow Crimson, but Conan for me isn't the same Conan 4 years ago. Unlike Jon Stewart, who you have some valid points on, Conan makes the same jokes as the other late-night hosts. While he might understand comedy -- as opposed to say, Carson Daly-- I had a friend who wrote for Conan/NBC. He would tell me of the frustration of writing the same Lindsay Lohan-this or Clay Aiken-that. Conan, while funny, has lost a lot of his edge in material, and makes it more about himself ("I'm too tall" or "I'm so geeky), than about the guest. He also is more formulaic, most of his skits contain reoccurring characters and jokes or what not.

It may be that there are more standards and practices for a network show than for a cable program, but Stewart's jokes are bit more "edgy" and more satirical. I also think since they ground themselves in mostly current day events, the Daily Show can get away with reoccurring skits and sketches without having them seem refreshed.

It will be interesting to see how TDS changes if a Democrat came to office. But, I believe they were just as hard-hitting during the Clinton administration, but they hadn't hit their creative peak so we don't remember it that much.

But anyone who's been watching TDS for a while now will remember that it's always been a great place for political commentary. And I guess that's why I like it so much. Comedy, in particular satire, is about making daring choices that often draws blood. Questions that poke and prod. Remember when Chris Rock staged a come-back years ago as their first "political" consultant, when he went to one of the conventions and asked people ridiculous questions? Usually they all revolved around race, but it was amazing to how poignant and absurdly funny he is.

Heck, let's get right down to it. I guess if I were to ever make it on a show, I would probably end up on TDS. Although, I wouldn't throw an offer from Conan out the window..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home