Saturday, October 29, 2005

Just getting back

I had a small, running journal of things I found funny at Chicago. Lot's of unpacking to do to get to the notified, so that'll have to wait until the morning. That makes two years in a row I was in the city that would win the world series. I think I'll make it a point to be in Montreal just to stick it to Bud Selig.

A Sample Conversation:

I'm new here! And I'm happy to be apart from this trip. And what do you do? Oh, you're from Overland Park, Kansas? But I asked you what you d--oh, Sales? Of course! That's great! Yes, that's Rasheed,'s my name. Two E's. Me? I'm from Boston, and I was hired as one of the college hires. Been struggling, but I'm hanging in there, y'know! (Punch fist in air.) What college? Oh Harvard (sheepish grin). Yeah, my boss went there too? What are we doing in Insurance? That's a question I ask myself every day. Usually the answer is that my dot.com went belly-up, I landed in jail, and now I'm serving probation. No that's not true. I never went to jail.

//A Sample Conversation.

Listened to a great motivational speaker (I'm successful, and you can CHOOSE to be too!), met some cool people, hung out with some friends, complained about business, and let resolved that I was NOT going to be fired in '05 or '06, and that I'll actually have a good year. And that I'll stop trying to look people's down blouses (especially men's).

The airplane ride was interesting, both ways, and the music on the plane was cool. I love "Sly and the Family Stone" and "Ray Charles." Also the "Inside the Actor's Studio" version of Russell Crowe was great. After listening to him explain the amount of detail and concern he puts into his craft, I now the highest respect for him as an actor. I really think he's underrated, as hard as that may seem, and unlike other "stars" who appear on that show, he's one of the few who lifts the curtain a little, and shows that his success is from hard work and not luck on uncanny good looks. From the 15-20 minute clip they showed, Crowe never treated the audience of students like fans, but rather colleagues who maybe needed some extra advice or career counseling. Of course there were a few "showbiz" anecdotes, but he actually seemed nervous and humble, even differential, to the audience because they were trained actors, and he had to learn through trial and error.

Enough with the man-miration for Russell Crowe.

Now I have to tackle a few things: sleep, my room, my netflix queue ("A Sea Inside" instead of "Kung Fu Hustle?!" Why do I share this with my girlfriend!!!)

Good night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home