Monday, February 20, 2006

My Sister was published!

My sister had her (sappy) poem published in an online 'Zine. Wahoo!

Confrontation to Progress
By Aisha

How do I tell myself the truth?
That I decided to stay.

Then the rain and ocean,
Once providers,
Turned and crashed back
On my haven.

How do I tell myself,
All convincing and true
That the water rose to
Shortage all electricity,
To rot all stable walls,
To soak away words from paper,
Erase my life.

And as the water destroyed
Power to the city, so my phosphorescent flame
Has been put out.

How do I let myself feel
Anger
Towards a country that forsook my community
Through a metaphorical
Storm classism, racism?

The anger would drown me
Like the waters from the broken levies
That stormed my haven.

I will not drown
With anger or desperation
I will not be uprooted or
Swept away like the flowers
Of my garden past
This fecal water,
Will saturate life and bloom a rebirth.

That’s how I tell myself the truth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home