Monday, December 26, 2005

Syriana


Shame on you for not knowing who these two actors are!

Let's make this simple. I saw Syriana today with my gf and my little sisters. I thought it was an excellent movie. It has two of my favorite actors: Jefferey Wright, Alexander Siddig (from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine!). These gentlemen are often overlooked, but are some of the best actors working. Even the more "Hollywood" actors knocked the ball out of the park, so to speak: George Clooney, Matt Damon, Amanda Peet, Chris Cooper. Excellent, Excellent. And don't forget Mazhar Munir, who puts a disturbingly human touch on a suicide bomber.

Sigh. It was a lenghty and dense film. It doesn't have an immediate payoff, until you start to think about it and put the pieces back together afterwards. I thought it would be more heavy-handed, and even pedantic. I think it was a lot more subdued than people give it credit for. I also think they do a great side of showing both sides to virtually every issue. I guess some of the problem lies with the fact that some sides you don't want to see humanized because you disagree with it so.

I didn't mind seeing it in the theatre. It's a good movie to rent, although there are certain subtilities in the acting that come across better on a bigger screen than the tv.

But that's just my take.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Bashir was (is?) hot. Well, not really, but he was very endearing, what with all the stuttering.

Merry Christmas, Rasheed!

And Chris wants to go see Syriana, so I'll let you know what we think. Meantime, you and KB should go see Kong, if for nothing else but the dinosaurs.

5:15 PM, December 27, 2005  
Blogger jesse said...

I think the biggest payoff was feeling like a whiz kid for knowing what the hell was going on.

I could not believe that was Jeffrey "Peoples" Wright. Damn, that guy is versatile.

5:02 PM, January 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home