Wednesday, November 16, 2005

A Brand New Hope

So, we started off with a bang, as mistakes and crisiis flew all over the place on our opning night at An Tua Nua. The lights weren't working because someone before I passworded them. Then the audio wasn't working -- the mixer would only play one mic when we needed two. The Improv Troup, Improv Foundry, with some very hubba-hubba cast members, were there early and performed. I tried for them, and didn't make it, so I was looking forward to blowing them out of the water with my comedy skills. I had only 1 speaking part. well, 1.5 (it was a yell). Oh well.

anyways, back to the pre-show. So, we set up. Finally. And then some performers come in at 8:30, which was supposed to be the scheduled start time. but there were different start times posted on the web, in the paper and on the flyers. so everyone was confused. then of course, we're thinking people would show up at 8, and we panic. at one point offering free beer (on my credit card -- thank goodness that didn't go that far) if people showed up. then a few showed up, and we let some in free and others charged full price. it was confusing we weren't sure if we should charge for an audience of 3. but my gf said, "hold the course and charge because you have to pay the tech guy." and we did. and more people showed up! We had a small, but respectable crowd. and this is like my/our first time as the producing group, y'dig? It's like our night our show, and our responsibility for bringing people (as well as the groups performing).

As people started to trickle in, i started to calm down. sorta. trying to get an explanation of what the musical act does, and trying to assuage their (and mine) fears that they could do a show with one mic, i accidentally spilled a hot wax candle on the table. one of the performers got some wax on her leg. I got all this wax, plus a searing hot pain (with the "I'm Okay, I'm Okay," tear running down my cheek), on my hand. OH well. I think that was an ice-breaker. I'm very good at ice-breakers that usually involve ice breaking parts of my body (knee, anyone?).

The first act was Angela (www.myspace.com/uwantangela) . Nice lyrics. Good singing. But there was crossing dressing and semi-nudity involved with a nightie on a less than flattering... and the lyrics were pretty raunchy (one song was "F-me Hard, over and over again.") enough's been said already. but great production, great singing, and my fingers are still numb from the candle.

next up was us. without the benefits of lights, we couldn't hide our prop/custome changes, and one of the "punchlines" involves the lights, which we had to edit at the last second. but it went well. we constanstly re-work and throw out skits that don't work, or revamp them. last night was a show written mostly by the superbly talented Rob Young. I think his performance went over well. We need to come up with ways to support him better. His brother, making it 3 "brothers" from the big red H were in attendance last night, and i think he enjoyed it.

and then the supremely-too-good-for-me Improv Foundry was up next. They're funny, and out of our league (at the moment), but they've been going at it for 3 years now, and this is only 2 months with the new cast, and like 8 months in total. So we've come a far, far way on an awesome starship journey to get where we are right now. And watching Hubba-Hubba's who can make me laugh is amazing (which is why I'm with the bestiest of the Hubbas right now. She's HILARIOUS in her nerdy ways.)

I wish you were there.

Next week, the 22nd, I will be the host and do some stand up. so come on down and HECKLE me. it's probably be the last time an American audience gets to tell me how much I suck...so have at it!

night-night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home