Thursday, September 29, 2005

Recently, I've just been declining auditions out of sheer fear...

So the audition didn't go well.

I know I should keep my head up, but I just didn't get called back. Of course, the troop I auditioned for said that not getting called back does not mean you don't make it, it just means that they want a "second look" at another actor. There was about 40 people there, some good, some bad, some didn't know what it means to improv. Some didn't speak too good English. Some people were a bit old, but god bless them for coming out. It makes me feel good that you can still keep your dreams now matter your age.

I think I'm going to get rejected because I told them that I couldn't make their Wednesday practices due to bragging to children. Shisse, I should've lied. Auditioning a tough racket!

I also think I'm not going to make it because I was just bad. See, in improv it's imperative that you always say, "yes." For instance, if I say, "Hey Charlie, I've brought your favorite beer." And then you say, "My name's not Charlie, and I hate beer," then you just negated me. And now, to make the entire scene work, everything I say has to be wrong, or I have to completely drop the character I started with and start over. At first, this can be funny, after all you're "competing" for the audience's affection. But you're not suppose to compete to make your partner look bad. It builds distrust. Other people won't want to perform with you, because they won't want to look like an ass all the time. You have to be "giving", because you're really just playing make-believe in front of an audience. And if you don't play fairly, then what's the point in playing with you at all?

But see, that's not what really gets me. I pride myself in being able to steer the scene by playing the (mostly) straight-man. To use sports terms, I want to be the "point guard" or "quarterback;" someone who's able to go with the flow, and then if someone is lost or starts negating, I can ground the scene. I feel that way only because when I started improvising, I made a lot of mistakes. I still do. I would make obvious references to other comedians or tv shows--showing my own lack of creativity-- or I would do something completely zany that really didn't fit in with the scene, even if I wasn't negating. Then when I realized the goal is play and focus in on the other actors. It's okay to do a little give and take with the audiences attention. BUT, too often people make these corny jokes that have a "laugh here please," quality to it, which makes the audience groan.

Well, at least I learned. And at least I got over my fear and went to another audition. Auditioning a tough racket!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home