Friday, December 02, 2005

Kindly don't pay attention to me.

Last night we went to Legal Sea Foods for my mom's birthday (because I got her a gift certificate). The night didn't start out too well for me because we waited an hour to pick up the buzzer, and another hour after that to be seated. So at the start I was mad hungry, munching on the rolls. Scanning the menu, I found what I thought was a salad without peanuts. I'm pretty sure I asked if it had peanuts, but was too tired or hungry so I may not have. Anyways, I ordered the salad, thinking I'm safe because all the other menu items listed if it had peanuts in it.

Needless to say, when it came it had peanuts. Before I asked if it could be returned, I tried to explain that I must have made a mistake because I made the wrong educated guess about the contents of the salad. After all, the rest of the menu listed if an item had peanuts on it. But before, as soon as I got, "Oh, this does have peanuts. I--" She just starts laying into me. It was kind of funny because the restaurant stopped and some of the servers recoiled as this woman just starts picking on me for not being clear that I had a peanut allergy. The blood and tears are rushing to my head, as I'm trying not to make a scene and educate this woman on the ever-elusive etiquette of customer service.

The funny part of her rant is that she finished, walked away with my salad, and then walked back with a "Did you want to order something else?" Then, a bit more gently this time, suggests that if I was going to pick the french fries off my sister's plate that I should order her meal~which is another funny story, since I was going to get a meal with french fries in it, but was admonished by my sister and mother. So I got french fries and no salad.~Thanks!
Now, I'm in this nutritional study, which I'll talk about later. But I was very good in meal-planning and eating last night, and was looking forward to a nice tasting and healthy dinner. Yet, I got none. Just her lecturing me, as my mom pointed out, killed my appetite. I was going to order something else that was quick, but she didn't even give me a chance to say anything aside from asking if there were peanuts in my order.

I understand, you put in an order and you want to make sure it's right before you have it prepared. However, if you really cared about your customers, you would take a time out to listen to their question, maybe even listen to them explain their complaint before you started to yell at them, wouldn't you? I know I would. Or maybe she didn't care. Would she have reacted the same way if I were someone else?

Before you think I'm making another comment on race, I'm not--necessarily. I have always felt that my size, and yes my race, have always solicited fear~a fight or flight response. Which is always laughable to me, and hard to explain, but you can just sort of see someone's eyes go wide and they feel they have to yell, kick and scream, or else I am going to take advantage of them. So, when a potential argument approaches, I notice that other people who are afraid of me rush to fire the first salvo. They clinch their teeth and fist, close their eyes, and just spit forth whatever comes to their mine. Squinting one eye as they winch with the other, I laugh at their half-wish and half-expectation that I will give them the clobbering they deserve.

To fight this, I've over-developed a acquiescent and friendly disposition because I just can't stomach the constant conflict. But I think because of this, people think that I'm easy to get over, so they continue to badger me until they get a response. I guess part of their thesis is correct; they are insignificant bugs to my big giant self. I just don't care that much to really make a scene, and this seems to make people maddest of all~as if I'm denying them some sort of psychic "release," by not letting the argument reach it's climax.

However, it's a catch-22: because I can argue and scream (and even punch) the loudest, it will be assumed that I started the scene; if I don’t start a scene, I'm not playing by the rules of engagement~once you're engaged you can't turn you back and walk away.
Well, whatev'. I didn't make a scene, just politely said no and continued what I was saying when she would come by. If she did bring up the issue a third time, I would have educated her on the continually elusive etiquette of customer service. Instead, I'm going to call the restaurant and lodge a complaint. Why get in an argument with someone, when you could be more devious and stab them in the back instead. Hehehe.

And to top it off, they didn't cook anyone else's meal right either! I'm through with Legal Sea Foods (of Burlington, Ma).

1 Comments:

Blogger jomilkman said...

i wonder if her behavoir was reactionary more because she's had many experiences with snippy customers; i mean, it is legal seafoods, and it is in burlington, after all. i wouldn't necessarily take it personally.

nevertheless, it's pretty unforgivable that she snapped at you just as you were about to take responsibility to fudging the order.

3:28 PM, December 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home